Monday, April 6, 2020

Kidnapped.......5th post - Nancy's memories

It's almost midnight and I have thought all day about making a post. It is the 41st anniversary of my  kidnapping. Since I didn't really want to write anything, I decided to post what my sister wrote last year when I asked her to record that time from her viewpoint. Like me, she needed to write in portions, so here is her first account.

I am ready to go on with this story and how it has unfolded over several years. This one event in my life has shaped me more than I would like to admit. Last year after writing the first 4 episodes and having multiple challenges in my life over a few months time, I decided I needed some assistance sorting some things out in my life. With this help, I discovered just how much this monumental incident had affected me. Having great counseling, an understanding husband and a Mighty God, I have made great strides! And now, I want to share the rest of the story. Hope you still enjoy!

When Susan asked  me to write about my side of her kidnapping, I knew there were many things I would have to remember. It was one of those life defining events. You never think something like that will happen to your family. We grew up with parents who took life as it came with no complaints or whining. This was different from anything any of us had experienced.
  On that Friday night in April 1979, Hardy and I had invited several couples to have dinner with us. They were all from a sister church and we enjoyed the fellowship. The conversation had just turned to a trip on a river that one of the couples son had been on with two other boys. They had capsized and almost drowned. We  were all quietly reflecting on the uncertainty of life when our phone rang.
  As I heard that sound, cold chills ran up my spine.I am not a fortune teller by any means but a few times I have had premonitions that a family member was in trouble. It always was true. This was one of those times.
  Mike Elliott, my future brother-in-law, was on the line. "Have you seen Susan?" I knew something was wrong. I assured him that I had not. She had not attended a meeting at their church that night. She was to pick up some money and deposit it and then be at the meeting. Mike had called the police, local hospitals and many of the friends and family members in Augusta to see if they had seen her. Nothing showed up. I immediately told him that we would be on our way over there as soon as possible.
  The couples at our home tried to assure  us that it was nothing and we should sit tight. I was not having it. Our oldest son, Samuel, was almost two years old and we also had our pastor's two children with us. Those precious friends who were dining with us that night, had prayer for us, helped pack our suitcases and took care of Samuel and our  other guests. They got us on the road and cleaned our dishes and locked up for us. What a blessing friends are. 
Before we left Forsyth, I knew I had to contact our parents. My brother lives down the road from their house so I called him first and told him Susan was missing and for him to go tell mother and daddy so they would not be by themselves when they heard. I gave Terry what I thought was a fair amount of time to get the short distance there and then called them. Mother answered the phone and sounded upset so I thought that Terry was there. The first words out of my mouth were, "we are headed to Augusta". Terry was not there and mother reacted as any distraught mother would when hearing that announced and suspecting the worst. Terry has first hand knowledge of their part of the story  and can fill you in on what happened at that time. 
We got to Augusta in short order. A trip that usually took 2 1/2 hours took about 1 1/2 hours. God was with us.
I have never been so sure of anything as I was that Susan was in trouble. I can't even describe the feelings. It wasn't fear or worry exactly, it was dread. My faith was strong but you just wonder how you will walk through the valley He may be taking you through.


I think that is all I can write today.
Nancy

No comments:

Post a Comment